Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Rider Profile Peggy Poh

Me and the famous Pungol lone tree \
 1. Tell me about yourself
- I’m Peggy! I am 26 this year and I work as a financial executive around the Raffles city area.  
Just an ordinary girl who loves cycling, and is always counting down to the end of work day especially if there’s a ride planned after work. 
My favourite route is to ride to Sports Hub, Marina
Barrage and MBS. Be it day or night, it is my favourite
place to be at as the crowd and view is different across
the day. Day time, it’s very peaceful and with good
sunlight, I can snap some nice pictures of the surrounding. 
At night, MBS is liven up with the crowded bars and light show right outside MBS. Further down, there are loungers placed, and we can simply relax there with our bike right beside us, and enjoy the breeze and lightings of the CBD area.
Rolling around Dakota crescent with LCSG 
2. How did you start cycling
- My late granduncle and uncle are the main contributors to my passion for cycling. My granduncle bought me my first 4WD (kiddy bike with training wheels) when I was roughly 4yrs old, and mummy will bring my siblings and me to the spacious void deck for rides. 
- Slowly, my training wheels were removed, and mum taught me how to ride on 2 wheels! I can still remember the joy (and fear) involved when learning to ride on 2 wheels. I eventually succeeded and got upgraded to ride on my siblings’ market bike.
- As I grew older, my uncle gave me his MTB which I still kept it with me till date. The bike is estimated to be 13yrs old already. However due to zero maintenance, the parts are all rusty and worn out, but still good for rides to the prata shop. I also used to ride this bike to tuition classes about less than 2km away. 





3. Why do you like cycling
- I like cycling for the sense of freedom and distance it brings me which is very different from jogging. Going further, I can experience much more. 
- The people I met in LCSG also made me fall in love with cycling!

4. When you met LCSG – How was it like and how you meet us
- I first came across LCSG’s name on the newspaper. At that time, I just got my first bike as an adult, and decided to search for it in Facebook. I was also looking for groups that I can join which are suitable for newbies like me.
I decided to practice cycling on my own (after abt 10yrs hiatus from riding), before braving up to join the LCSG rides. 
- My first ride with LCSG was to visit Eminent Plaza’s graffiti walls back in Nov2014. As I joined on my own and knew no one else, I messaged Taiwoon a day before the ride, and slowly made my way there. 
- Friendly Desmond Chia spotted me standing alone, and came to break the ice (which till date I am still very grateful for). 
- I was totally intimidated with the large group, nice and expensive bikes when my ride was an online purchase, and obviously the only one/type there. 
- But shortly after, I realised that these people are super friendly peeps, and whatever I ride do not matters so long it rides!

5. Your steel horses – names and more details
The bikes I still have with me till date
- Bumblebee - 13yrs old MTB given by my late uncle. 
- Xiao Hong – Hachiko bought in Aug14 and semi-retired in Aug15. A good <$300 bike brought me for 700km of rides!
- The Phantom – White Berry Crush Brompton born in Aug 2015 – present. 
- The name was inspired when I walk past a Phantom motorbike and thought the name was quite cool. Googled more and found an old cartoon titled The Phantom, and the character is purple, hence the name! 

6. My favourite cycling kakis
- Mike, Stanley and Edwin are my usual kakis and of cos many of the LCSG regulars whom I had a chance to ride, chit chat and la kopi with. 

7. What I’ve learnt since Day 1 joining LCSG
- Slightly more than a year riding with LCSG, I’ve gained confidence riding on road, and the relevant signals and commands for different situation. 
- I’ve also learnt many riding techniques and bike maintenance tips from fellow cyclist. 
- And of course the fact that, with just 2 wheels, we can go practically ANYWHERE, especially places not easily accessible by public transport. LCSG has shown to me how our trusty steel horse can bring us to enjoy much more.

8. Other things to share. Life motto etc
- In order to enjoy a downslope, you must first overcome the upslope!
Same applies to life. Overcome the obstacle and enjoy the fruits thereafter. 
- Ride Safe and Ride On everyone!

Fun fun every sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment